Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Experienced Attorneys. Outstanding Results.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. English
  4.  » 
  5. Immigration Law
  6.  » Deferred Action

DACA: Helping You Stay In The U.S. Through The Deferred Action Process

With over 300 years of combined experience, our immigration attorneys at Consumer Law Group have helped immigrants who came to the United States as children stay in the country through the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. Out of our Illinois offices in Chicago, Berwyn, Aurora and Wheeling, we help clients nationwide apply for deferred action benefits.

Our team of immigration lawyers dedicates their time solely to helping immigrants with the various legal issues and processes they face in the United States. With immense knowledge and experience in all aspects of U.S. immigration law, you can trust our guidance and support throughout the deferred action process.

What Is Deferred Action In U.S. Immigration Law?

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, often called DACA, provides temporary protection from deportation and removal actions to immigrants who came to the United States before age 16. However, deferred action does not provide you with legal status in the U.S.

If approved for deferred action, you may seek legal employment. While the initial period only lasts two years, you can renew your status and extend it for two more years.

Does Deferred Action Give Someone Legal Immigration Status In The U.S.?

Unlike the DREAM Act, which shares similar elements, DACA does not provide a pathway to legal immigration status in the United States.

Who Is Eligible For Deferred Action?

In order to establish eligibility for deferred action, immigrants must show the Department of Homeland Security that you:

  • Came to the U.S. under the age of 16
  • Have resided in the U.S. continuously for at least five years
  • Are in school, have graduated from high school or are honorably discharged from the Coast Guard or Armed Forces
  • Have not been convicted of crimes including felony offense and significant misdemeanors
  • Are not over the age of 30

We will help you determine if you meet the eligibility requirements for deferred action before filing your application.

How To Apply For Deferred Action

Your application for deferred action involves the completion of three forms:

  • Form I-821D – Consideration of Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals
  • Form I-765 – Application for Employment Authorization
  • Form I-765W

These forms are submitted to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services with a filing fee and two passport-style photos.

Don’t Apply For Deferred Action On Your Own

Applying for deferred action benefits on your own is a huge risk that may put your future in danger. Working with an experienced immigration attorney can provide you with peace of mind. Let us help you with your application. Contact us today at 312-766-7777 or reach out online to schedule a consultation.