Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Experienced Attorneys. Outstanding Results.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. English
  4.  » 
  5. Deportation Defense
  6.  » Adjustment Of Status

U.S. Adjustment Of Status Lawyers

Our adjustment of status lawyers can help you through the filing and interview process and give you the best chance at obtaining your green card.

Individuals in the United States who wish to change from a nonimmigrant status to an immigrant status (and apply for a green card) must go through a process called adjustment of status. At Consumer Law Group, our attorneys are proud to serve nonimmigrants and immigrant residents – and are happy to help you adjust your status from one to the other.

The process can be tricky, and there are a number of requirements that applicants must meet in order to successfully change their status. However, our skilled lawyers are happy to help you along the way. They provide the following and more:

  • Affordable cost: We know that the immigration process can be expensive – that’s why we prioritize offering rates that are reasonable and affordable. Don’t let adjustment of status legal costs stop you from getting the support, advice and representation you deserve.
  • Bilingual service: Many communities seeking adjustment of status lawyers communicate primarily in Spanish, which is why we are proud to offer bilingual immigration lawyer services in both English and Spanish.
  • Real-world experience: Our lawyers have seen it all, and they’re excited to bring their real-world experience to your case.
  • Nationwide service: Our immigration law firm represents clients across the nation.

Who is eligible for an adjustment in status?

An adjustment of status is available to an individual who has met the following criteria:

  • Was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States
  • Properly filed an adjustment of status application
  • Is physically present in the United States
  • Is eligible to receive an immigrant visa
  • Will be available when filing the application and at the time of final adjudication
  • Is admissible to the U.S. for lawful permanent residence

If you’re not sure whether you’re eligible, be sure to speak with an adjustment of status immigration lawyer to better understand your case.

What if you’re eligible for a green card but are not eligible for an adjustment of status?

If you’re not sure whether you are eligible for an adjustment of status but you are eligible for a green card, it’s possible to use consular processing to obtain the necessary documentation and become a resident. This might be a confusing process, and it’s always wise to have an experienced adjustment of status immigration lawyer on your side when you go through it.

Which application forms do you use to adjust status?

When you’re ready to apply for an adjustment of status, you should use Form I-485. Once it’s properly filled out, it must be submitted to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). An adjustment of status immigration lawyer can help you fill out and file your Form I-485 if you are unsure of how to complete the process by yourself.

What happens at the adjustment of status interview?

During the adjustment of status interview, an immigration officer will ask you a series of questions, which will take about 20 minutes. The interview is not due to a problem with your adjustment of status application; it’s a normal part of the application process.

At the interview, you will be asked questions regarding the forms you used in your application. These questions will verify aspects of your identity, such as your address and current visa status. Additionally, you may be asked questions to confirm that you are still eligible for an adjustment of status. For instance, if you have recently committed a serious crime, you may no longer be eligible for an adjustment of status. If you seek an adjustment of status due to an employment situation, then you may also be asked questions about this, including questions about your employer, your qualifications and related information.

Do you need another medical exam if you came on a K-1 fiancé(e) visa?

In most cases, you will not need another medical exam if you have already obtained a K-1 fiancé(e) visa.

Can a person who is HIV positive get a green card?

Yes. As of 2010, Congress repealed laws preventing HIV positive individuals from obtaining green cards. Having an HIV positive diagnosis is no longer a bar to those seeking permanent residence.

Do children also receive conditional green cards?

You may petition to bring your children to the United States if you are a permanent resident. USCIS distinguishes between children, unmarried individuals who are under 21 years of age, and adult sons and daughters who are unmarried individuals 21 years of age or older.

Permanent residents may petition to bring children and adult sons and daughters into the U.S. Bear in mind that the specific requirements can differ based on the parent/child relationship. For instance, stepparents and adoptive parents may have to provide more information proving their relationships to the children than biological parents do.

What is removal of conditions?

If you are married for less than two years and have moved to the United States as the spouse of a permanent resident, then your permanent residence remains conditional until you have proven that you did not enter into the marriage to avoid United States immigration law. Once this has been proven, the conditions on your permanent residency are removed.

How long will my green card be valid?

Green cards, which allow permanent residency in the United States, are valid for up to 10 years. If you were granted conditional permanent resident status, your green card is valid for only two years.

After the appropriate duration of time has passed, you will be required to renew your green card in order to legally remain in the United States. If you are concerned about your eligibility, speaking with a green card lawyer can help.

My adjustment of status petition was denied. Can I appeal?

Not all adjustment of status petitions are approved. If yours was denied, then it can be discouraging and confusing. Unfortunately, there is no process in place to appeal a denial. However, you can reapply for a green card by following the usual protocols.

If you are unsure why your adjustment of status was denied, then it can be helpful to work with an immigration lawyer on your next green card application. Depending on your specific circumstances, such as the status of your visa, you may or may not be permitted to continue living in the United States. An experienced immigration or deportation lawyer can help you to ensure that your application is as strong as possible and that you get the hearing you deserve.

How long will it take to get my green card?

It typically takes up to 90 days to receive a green card after applying for one. That’s why it’s important to apply for a green card or an adjustment of status with plenty of time to spare before your visa expires. If you’re in the country illegally before your permanent residency application is approved, then this could create problems.

You might be asking yourself if you need a lawyer for an adjustment of status. While technically, the process can be completed on your own, it’s good to remember that, no matter what stage of the immigration process you’re in, it’s smart to work with experienced professionals who can help you make the best possible immigration case. At Consumer Law Group, our attorneys are committed to helping you get the hearing that you deserve so that your immigration process goes smoothly with minimal legal fees.

Our Immigration Attorneys Are On Your Side And Ready To Serve You Nationwide

You’re not alone. Contact our experienced immigration attorneys for help now by calling 312-766-7777 or reaching out to us online.