Chicago Criminal Defense Attorneys Working Tirelessly To Protect Your Freedom, Rights And Reputation
At Consumer Law Group, our criminal defense attorneys in Chicago understand the severity of criminal charges and the toll that they can take on your life. As such, we are passionate about advocating on your behalf and providing the quality legal defense you deserve.
Let our Chicago criminal lawyers represent you; with our team, you will benefit from:
- An established law firm with a highly trained team of attorneys that focus on criminal defense including DUI, drug charges and violent crimes as well as immigration law (which is invaluable when cases overlap)
- Employment of proven strategies tailored to your case, such as exposing racial bias, illegally obtained confessions and inferior lab work
- In-depth analysis of your case to uncover any and all information that will help us build a strong defense
- Clear, consistent communication with attorneys who speak both English and Spanish, so you always know where you stand
You Can Count On Us To Handle A Variety Of Criminal Defense Cases
Criminal defense covers a wide array of charges that all can leave lasting impacts on your future freedom and ability to live a normal life.
At Consumer Law Group, our criminal defense attorneys have experience defending clients against a wide range of charges, including:
- Driving on a suspended license
- Drug charges
- Domestic violence
- Violent crimes
- Weapons charges
- Sex crimes
Consequences of a criminal conviction range from large fines to long prison sentences, depending on the severity of the charge and the circumstances of the crime. We will build a solid defense and use a variety of resources to help protect you.
What Does An Illinois Criminal Defense Lawyer Do?
Criminal defense lawyers are responsible for representing clients who are being charged with a crime. In addition to representing you in court or negotiations, they typically perform a range of duties, such as investigating the circumstances surrounding the case and analyzing the evidence, educating you about your options and developments on your case, enlisting the help of expert witnesses to strengthen your case, and more. Generally speaking, they are there to help you achieve the best possible outcome, using their resources and knowledge.
How Do You Know If You Need A Criminal Defense Lawyer?
If you have been charged with a crime or are under investigation by law enforcement, you need a criminal defense lawyer. No matter how minor the crime, the consequences you could be facing can have a lasting impact – from disqualifying you from jobs to restricting your freedoms. Having an attorney on your side can protect you throughout the process and help you achieve the best possible outcome. So, if you are charged with a crime, you should hire a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
How Much Does A Criminal Defense Attorney Cost?
The cost of criminal defense attorneys varies significantly from case-to-case and lawyer-to-lawyer. This is because certain cases may require more time and resources. Criminal defense lawyers may also charge differently based on their expertise, location, and firm’s fee structure. Based on the intensive legal help required for criminal cases, your priority should be finding a reputable defense lawyer with a proven record, even if they cost more.
That said, our team at Consumer Law Group believes that high-quality legal help should be more accessible, which is why we offer free consultations and strive to make our fees affordable.
How Can You Find A Good Criminal Defense Attorney In Illinois?
Finding a criminal defense lawyer is not a task that should be taken lightly. When searching for a criminal defense attorney in Illinois, you should prioritize the following factors:
- Focus area: Is criminal defense one of their focus areas? How long have they been practicing criminal law?
- Their reputation: Do they have positive reviews from past clients and colleagues?
- Their success rate: Do they have a history of helping clients achieve favorable outcomes?
- Communication: Are they responsive? Do they communicate clearly and listen to your point of view?
- Experience: How many years have they been in practice? How long have they been representing cases like yours?
- Location: Can you commute to their office easily? Will collaborating with them in person be possible?
The last thing you want to do is settle when it comes to your defense. Our criminal defense attorneys in Chicago are knowledgeable, have established proven defense strategies, and are dedicated to serving our clients’ best interests.
What Are The Four Categories Of Criminal Defenses?
There are a variety of defense strategies that a lawyer can use, depending on the circumstances. Typically, the various defense strategies can be grouped into four general categories:
- Justification: The defendant was justified in their actions. This could include self-defense or being under duress.
- Excuse: The defendant committed the crime, but they are not at fault for their actions. This could include reasoning such as age or a mental health disorder.
- Alibi: The defendant could not have committed the crime because they were not present. The alibi defense typically relies on a witness to corroborate their whereabouts.
- Procedural: The defendant is not liable for the charge brought against them because there has been some misconduct within criminal procedure. This could include unconstitutional behavior by those both in and outside of the courtroom.
Based on the circumstances surrounding your case, your criminal defense attorney will determine which strategy provides the best opportunity to minimize the consequences of the charge or eliminate it altogether.
What Are The Types Of Criminal Defense?
Within the four general criminal defense strategies, there are many types of criminal defense that may be used in your case, such as:
- Intoxication (voluntary or involuntary)
- Mental illness
- Illegal search and seizure
- Defense-of-property or others
- Mistake of fact
Among these, and many others, there is the statute of limitations, which can be used if the time window to bring the charges forward has passed. Your criminal defense attorney will recommend the best strategy based on the specifics of your case and which defense they think has the best chance of reducing or preventing sentencing.
What Should You Do If You Or Someone You Know Gets Arrested?
If you or someone you know gets arrested, you should hire legal counsel as soon as possible. Until your lawyer is present, you should take advantage of your right to remain silent to avoid incriminating yourself. Once you have been detained, invoke your rights by saying you would like to invoke your right to remain silent and ask to speak with your attorney.
How Should You Ask A Lawyer About A Criminal Case?
When it comes to your case, there can be a lot of uncertainty, which means you’ll likely have a lot of questions. If you aren’t sure where to start, there are a few questions you should ask your criminal defense attorney:
- What should you do? (Is there anything you can do to help lessen your sentence?)
- What evidence is there against you?
- Do they believe a plea bargain is your best option?
- What defense strategy do they think offers the best outcome? (What are the pros and cons of this defense?)
- Are you eligible for any sentencing alternatives?
- How long do they anticipate negotiations or a trial will last?
- What are the anticipated costs?
Does Consumer Law Group Handle Cases Involving Federal Agencies?
Consumer Law Group does not handle cases involving federal agencies, other than those pertaining to immigration law.
What If You Are Not A Citizen And Are Charged With A Crime?
The legal procedure followed for crimes committed by non-citizens depends on immigration status and the type of charge against you. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you are entitled to a defense, so you should hire a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Depending on the severity of the outcome, a criminal charge could have serious consequences when it comes to your immigration status – individuals may be subject to deportation, or even permanent prohibition from re-entering the U.S. – so you may also need the help of an immigration attorney. In addition to being a criminal defense law firm, Consumer Law Group, also represents immigration cases.