Our family law attorneys are here to fight to protect your rights and achieve an outcome that’s best for your entire family.
Changes in your marriage and family dynamics are challenging, especially when you are not on the same page. But you are not alone. The knowledgeable and compassionate team of family law lawyers at Consumer Law Group are ready to help. For the last decade, our family law firm in Chicago has helped many families navigate the complex and emotional road to separation or divorce. And, our family law attorneys in Chicago speak Spanish, so you can rest assured that we have an understanding of your wishes. Our lawyers are experienced in all facets of family law, including:
- Divorce/Separation: Whether it’s through mediation or representing you in the courtroom, our lawyers will tirelessly fight on your behalf to ensure the outcome is as fair as possible when it comes to splitting your assets, establishing alimony, and more.
- Custody & Visitation: Coming to an agreement about the best living arrangements for your children is challenging, but our lawyers will work with you to establish a situation that preserves your relationship and assures that their best interests are the top priority.
- Child Support: Ensuring that your children’s financial needs are cared for is essential. We will help you work out a child support agreement that ensures your child’s needs are met and you’re not placed under an unfair financial agreement that you can’t maintain.
- Asset Division: Dividing assets, especially for high-net-worth divorces, can be a major source of disagreement and turn otherwise amicable divorce proceedings for the worse. Let our lawyers be the unbiased third party who can help you split your assets with as little friction as possible.
Divorce & Legal Separation
The decision to divorce or separate from your spouse is not an easy one, and the legal hoops you have to jump through doesn’t make it any simpler. Let one of our divorce lawyers assist you through the process and help ensure that you receive what you’re entitled to.
Child Custody & Support
Dividing time with children can be an especially emotional concept for many couples going through a divorce, and child support can become a source of contempt. A family law attorney can help establish a parentage agreement that keeps things as fair as possible and protects your children’s best interests without any bias.
Other Family Law Matters
Resolving other family law matters such as establishing guardianship, or filing a restraining order require the help of an experienced and trustworthy individual. A family law attorney can help you navigate these complex areas of the law and find the right course of action to go about accomplishing your goals.
Family law attorneys help clients handle divorce or legal separation and related matters including, child custody, property division, alimony, and more. Family lawyers can also help with premarital and prenuptial agreements, and restraining orders. When you hire a family law lawyer, they will help you negotiate or, if necessary, represent you in court.
Additionally, they can act as a neutral third party, which can be valuable in helping you make decisions, given the emotional nature of family law matters.
A family law attorney can help you protect your rights, so that you are not manipulated, and will fight for you, so you can receive what you’re entitled to. A family law attorney can be an invaluable asset when you are negotiating matters like visitation, child support payments, and asset division. Without a family law lawyer on your side, you could find yourself in an endless back and forth or at risk of being taken advantage of.
If you are ready to divorce or separate from your partner, or your or your ex want to make changes to your current agreement, you need a family law attorney. You may also need a family law lawyer if you want to create a will or need to establish guardianship.
Hiring a family law attorney as soon as possible can help you make certain that you take the right course of action to achieve your desired outcome; whether that’s a legal separation, dissolution, divorce, reducing your child support because you cannot pay, or other matters related to your marriage and children.
The cost of a family law attorney can vary significantly from case to case. This is because the amount of time and resources that need to be devoted to individual cases can be vastly different. While some individuals may be able to come to an agreement quickly because they’re on the same page, others will require multiple meetings to negotiate terms or even a drawn out court hearing. Location also plays a factor because the expenses of operating in certain cities are much higher than others; for example, the cost of a family law attorney in Chicago will likely be different than a lawyer in Los Angeles.
At Consumer Law Group, we strive to make hiring a family law lawyer attainable for virtually anyone who needs help navigating these complex matters. We also offer free consultations, so you can get a professional opinion on your case and get to know our lawyers before you make a commitment.
Finding a good lawyer anywhere boils down to several important factors:
- Reputation: Legal representation is a service, and a costly one at that. That is why it is important to look into their reputation via reviews or referrals to find someone that is credible, easy to work with, and works hard for their clients.
- Experience: In addition to years of experience, you also want to look for a lawyer who focuses on family law matters. This is important because they will be better equipped to counsel you because of their previous experience with similar cases and knowledge of the latest legal developments related to this practice area—both of which can work to your advantage when it comes to negotiating.
- Communication: When it comes to sensitive matters like carefully navigating complex family dynamics, you are going to want a lawyer who is understanding and communicative throughout the whole process.
You also want to consider location when you’re looking for a family law attorney in Illinois, because you will need to meet with your attorney and attend mediation or court hearings. Consumer Law Group has offices in Chicago, Aurora, Berwyn, and Wheeling. Speak with one of our family law attorneys in Chicago with a free consultation, to learn more about how we can help you and determine whether we’re a good fit.
Yes, Consumer Law Group can assist you with a legal separation if you are in the military or an LGBTQ relationship. Our lawyers are passionate about helping all families find the most efficient and amicable means for separation. We understand that there are unique factors that come into play for military and LGBTQ families and are dedicated to navigate through the special circumstances that can affect your case.
Typically, you will file your family law case at the court in the jurisdiction where you live. For example, if you live in Chicago, you will file in Cook County. Once your divorce paperwork is complete and ready for filing, you will submit it at the Cook County Circuit Court, or your family law attorney will do so on your behalf.
With a large team focusing on various practice areas, we are able to help clients with diverse needs. Consumer Law can assist you with: